Weight Gain prevention tips:
Are you nearing 40? Have you started noticing that slowly but surely your weight seems to be moving in the upward direction?
The normal tendency would be to blame it on the hormones, after all, everyone says that you put on weight when you are approaching menopause. Well, the truth is that this weight gain actually has more to do with aging and activity level.
As women age, the amount of muscle in their bodies slowly begins to decline. This causes the body’s metabolic rate to slow down. Since many women continue to eat the same amount, lost muscle is often replaced by fat.
You can prevent this age-related weight gain by eating a balanced diet, staying active and following the tips given below:
- Eat a hale and hearty breakfast: It is very important that you eat a healthy and nutritious breakfast before 9 AM. Having fruits and oatmeal with milk can be filling and healthy too. It won’t take much time, but definitely would provide a kick start to your day.
- Subsequent to your breakfast, have a mid morning snack. This snack can be consumed after 3-4 hours of breakfast. A low calorie snack or a fruit can be taken. Take a mini mid morning snack something like two to three hours after your breakfast.
- Make sure that you have your lunch before 1:30 PM and maximum 2 PM. A healthy lunch comprises of a correct balance of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. You can also have salads and curd. A glass of low fat curd or buttermilk is also a good option. Lunch must incorporate a healthy balance of protein, fat and carbohydrates. It should include salads, curd, chapattis, vegetables and some rice. Have more of salads and some low fat curd or buttermilk. Instead of having a dessert, try some fruit.
- Dinner can be taken anywhere from 7 to 7:30 PM. It can be similar to your lunch, but keeping in mind that your dinner should be a little light, the portion sizes may be smaller. Since you are having an early dinner, mixed fruit could be served a little later.
- Try to finish eating dinner before eight o’clock at least four to five days per week. It is not good to have dinner at late nights. If you have to attend a dinner party past eight, consume lighter and do not over stuff yourself. Eat some fruit or salads before you go to dinner.
- If you are a female above the age of forty, you would not need dense complex carbohydrates (pasta, bread, potatoes or rice) after 5 PM. These foods are loaded with fuel sources and should be consumed in restraint, chiefly at some stage in the day. It is not advisable to take these starch products during dinner.
- Dispose off all desserts and snack items in your kitchen. They are mainly refined and processed sugars.
- Take care while eating out. Do not hog on. While going out for lunch, a half piece of bread is enough. At the time of dibber, try to return the bread basket to the waiter.
- Drink water all over the day. The more, the better. Many of the time, we get the feeling that we’re hungry, we’re actually thirsty. Eight glasses should be drunk during the day.
In addition to the above mentioned tips, exercise regularly and you will be able to prevent weight gain.